In honour of February 14th fast approaching, I thought I would share a few of the gifts that men have given me over the years:
1) Cocaine and tickets to see B.B. King play at a famous, but dive-y Toronto bar. I had never done cocaine before and never did it again. I thought I would die. We did lines on a rusty toilet paper holder in a sketchy bathroom – only the best for me. But, the concert was excellent.
2) A stuffed crocodile in honour of the Lacoste shirts I wore during an extremely brief preppy stage in Grade Ten. My boyfriend’s favorite sport was fencing, which I thought was quite fancy and exciting.
3) Super hideous white sneakers. We later divorced.
4) A beautiful carved wooden box that I accidentally gave away to The Goodwill. Sorry.
5) Classic diamond stud earrings. I lost one of them within the first year. Again, sorry. I now have a vintage pair that my mom gave me and I never take them off.
6) A love poem – yay! But the same night my boyfriend ended up in a fist fight with someone, so that kind of dampened the spirit.
7) Kama Sutra book. Smart man.
8) Vintage lady head salt and pepper shakers with pearl earrings – fabulous! (see photo at top of my blog page)
9) Flowers. You can never go wrong with flowers, though I’m not a big fan of red roses. I think carnations are highly underrated. I especially love buying myself mini-carnations in fuchsia, orange and burgundy – so gorgeous together and they last longer than a fling!
10) Being serenaded with Guns N’ Roses songs and an acoustic guitar. I mean, it was the eighties people!
Happy Valentine’s Day Everyone! And for the Love Of God, you don’t need a partner to celebrate! Buy yourself a lil’ something – we all deserve a treat after these last two years.